Monday, November 9, 2009

Corduroy Appreciation


There are simple things in life that can prove to be the most comforting; mashed potatoes, electric blankets on a cold night, tearing perforated edges (that one may just apply to me), and a good Corduroy clothing item. One of my earliest memories involves listening to the swish swish of my Corduroy pants as I walked down the long quiet hall of my elementary school on my way to the Principal's office. I was about to be reprimanded for dancing on my desk. Before you assume I was a showgirl in the making: my classmates had all gotten carried away and were dancing to a song my teacher had put on to entertain us while she disappeared to speak to another teacher. I was only trying to top Tommy G. after he stood on his chair to show off his air guitar-ing. Instead of being impressed by my dare-devil desktop dancing as I had hoped, my classmates pulled a Lord of the Flies move and turned on me in an instant.

Back to Corduroy. I remember the swish swish-ing of my pants in that quiet hallway, and I felt comforted, somehow. I may not have understood it then, but I know now that it was an assuring reminder that in the midst of life's ups and downs, there are certain constants. Certain little pieces of joy to be seized. Which brings me to share this very important discovery.

A few months ago, I stumbled upon The Corduroy Appreciation Club.


A whole club dedicated to the glorious fabric? I was sold. I quickly became a member (it's free), and have been receiving occasional emails that fill me in on the CC haps.
The CC's mission statement:
The Corduroy Appreciation Club wishes to cultivate good fellowship by the advancement of Corduroy awareness, as well as, understanding, celebration, and commemoration of the fabric and all related items. Club events are held on dates which incorporate, resemble or refer to corduroy.

CC meetings are held on January 11th and November 11th each year, because these are the dates that most resemble Corduroy. 1|11 and 11|11.

This Wednesday is 11|11, and I plan on celebrating from afar (the meetings are held in Brooklyn, NY) by wearing Corduroy with pride.

You too can celebrate Corduroy by wearing two items (or however many you so choose) on 11|11, and by signing up to be a member and official Corduroy enthusiast.

I'm thinking about beginning an Orange County Chapter, so let me know if you are local and interested.

-Blythe

on my iTunes: Phoenix's "Listomania"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails