Monday, December 21, 2009

The Newport Beach Boat Parade






There are two things in this world that never fail to bring a smile to my face: fireworks and Christmas lights. Someone could have run over my dog, I could have gotten dumped, and California could have broken off from the North American continent and if fireworks started going off or I saw twinkle lights, the world would still be O.K. It's irrational, but true.


Yesterday two of my favorite things came together at The Newport Beach Boat Parade. My friend and I braved the traffic, fought tooth and nail with the hundreds of other cars looking for parking, and eventually trekked our way down to The Balboa Fun Zone to grab a piece of real estate along the rail of the harbor. A walking zombie after a 3,000 hour press week (do that math), the minute I caught a glimpse of those lights, all was well with the world. Suddenly my tired eyes were wide with wonder and a snoopy grin was spreading from my left ear to my right. 





Boat after boat floated by, each with their own unique Christmas decor, some kitschy, some classy, but all amazing. Not only were the boats decorated, almost every house on the water was decorated too. Each boat and house cast a reflection into the Newport Harbor giving the illusion of a formidable fleet of twinkle-lit vessels. The carousel and ferris wheel were filled with smiling faces, young and old, families and friends walked around laughing and talking, and if you blocked out the smell of dead fish and sewage that occasionally interrupted the aroma of fresh funnel cake, it felt like you were in a scene out of Tim Burton's Big Fish


The parade eventually made its rounds and settled back in the harbor for the grand finale of fireworks. Sure it wasn't the 4th of July or New Years Eve in New York City, but fireworks are fireworks, and everyone ooed and ahhhed as if it were. Everyone in the crowd seemed light and free as if all their cares and worries were fading with the dust of each exploding firework. We were all young again, not a care in the world, corn dog in one hand and a loved one in the other.  Christmas spirit took over Newport Harbor with an armada of brilliant lights in a peaceful show of gunboat diplomacy that Roosevelt would have been proud of, and we were all willing captives. 


- Amy
On my iPod: Dustin Kensrue's "Fairytale of New York" (Download it now! You'll thank me later.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails