Friday, January 15, 2010

Classic Cars & Outlaw Cowboy Bands: The Selvedge Yard




[Some of what you'll find at The Selvedge Yard]

"In my head there's all these classic cars and outlaw cowboy bands, I always kinda sorta wished I was someone else," sang The Gaslight Anthem. That "someone else" for me is Jon Patrick, the mastermind behind my favorite blog The Selvedge Yard.

Life as a blogger can be rough. I know first hand. And I don't mean for those once-every-three-months sporadic bloggers. I'm talking about the dedicated bloggers who somehow manage to put out intriguing posts with useful information paired with humorous personal anecdotes and witty commentary every single day to share with the world wide web. This is the kind of blogger I aspire to be. Jon Patrick is one of these blogging geniuses. The Selvedge Yard is a blog dedicated to the golden days of yester-year. Vintage tattoos, classic cars, classic bikes, classic films, music, men's style, icons, artists, photographers, architects, old trends, outlaws, cowboys, vixens, models, sports stars... all things great about that time not so long ago.  Every day I head over to The Selvedge Yard and every day I am greeted with another post, stocked full of pictures and overflowing like a fountain of vintage knowledge. Let me just give you last week's blog titles:
  1. Ladies Love Outlaws: Waylon, Willie, Johnny, Kris & Company
  2. Hammer of The Gods: Jimmy Page's Epic Double Neck Gibson Guitar
  3. Bring Back The 'Stache: Men, Mustaches, Marvels and Missteps
  4. The Selvedge Yard x Definitive Touch: 2009 Wrap Up
  5. "The Piano Has Been Drinking...": Tom Waits, Your Inner Drunkard

[What you will be greeted with at The Selvedge Yard]


And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  James Dean, Johnny Cash, Ralph Lauren, Jayne Mansfield, Bob Marley, The Bristol Tattoo Club, The Clash, Dennis Hopper, Jack Kerouac - all these guys and more can be found at The Selvedge Yard.  I always felt like I was born in the wrong era. I rock Marilyn Monroe eyeliner every day, have an iPod and CD collection well stocked with everything from The Rat Pack to Johnny Cash to Led Zeppelin, and am constantly taking notes from icon/vixens Audrey Hepburn, Anita Pallenberg, and Bridget Bardot in a feeble attempt to live out my life in the style and class of those bygone eras. They say you can't live in the past, but The Selvedge Yard helps me do just that, and I'm grateful for it.


- Amy
On my iPod: Led Zeppelin's "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails